Checkers has been one of South Africa’s favorite shopping destinations for all your grocery needs since 1991 when the Checkers supermarket chain was bought by Shoprite Holdings. There are over 130 stores in SA, along with a few Checkers stores in Namibia.
Checkers and Checkers Hyper Stores in SA sell groceries, both perishable and non-perishable, as well as other household items such as kitchenware, toys, hardware items and other supplies.
Checkers is also known for its specialty departments: Checkers Butchery, Cheese World and Wine Route. These departments pride themselves in providing luxury items at affordable prices, perfect for when you next need to choose a specialty cheese, a good bottle of wine, steak that is of restaurant quality, natural lamb, or the best of South Africa’s boerewors.
What other services are offered by Checkers and Checkers Hyper Stores in SA?
Along wide a vast range of affordable products, Checkers also offers other services such as:
- Computicket account payments (for buses, tickets etc.). You can book a ticket online and pay for it at any Checkers Money Market counter.
- Computicket also allows you to book flights, hotels and rental cars. You can even choose an inclusive package trip to organize your next holiday. These bookings can be paid for at a Checkers Money Market outlet.
- Bus tickets (for Greyhound, City to City, Translux, Citiliner, Intercape, or Roadlink buses) at the money market counter.
- Domestic flight tickets can be booked on Computicket and paid for at the Checkers Money Market counter. You can get great specials for 1Time, Mango, and domestic South African Airways (SAA) flights.
- Money transfers
- MediRite pharmacies (in selected stores)
- Cellphone airtime vouchers. You can top up your Vodacom, Cell C, Virgin Mobile or MTN cellphone at any of the till points in a Checkers store. You can also but Telkom vouchers.
- Cash withdrawals from tills. This convenient service saves you the trouble of finding an ATM, allowing you to draw cash from your South African bank account. At Checkers, you can also save effort and time by paying your Telkom, EasyPay, Eskom and TV License accounts at the Money Market counter. You can also pay for traffic fines.
- Checkers also offers a bond pre-qualification service through Better Bond. If you apply now, you can even have a chance of winning a voucher for Checkers worth R1000.
To make your next special occasion a breeze, Checkers offers a vast range of platters for catering for functions. From private parties to corporate functions, you can choose from a variety of meats, pastries, cheeses and other treats to suit both your tastes and your budget. Some of the options available include:
- Cheese & Meat Platter
- Chinese Sweet Sesame Chicken Platter
- Three Cheeses with Apricots & Pretzels
- Cold Meat Platter
- Egg, Sandwich & Meatball Platter
- French Bread Served with Smoked Salmon & Tasty Cream Cheese
- Fresh Vegetable Platter
- French Bread, Chicken & Roasted Peppers, to name but a few.
Another convenient service offered by Checkers is the money transfer service. You can transfer cash from any Checkers store to another Checkers or Shoprite store for just R9.99. This means that anyone near a Checkers store can exchange money conveniently and safely at very small fee.
How to do a money transfer at Checkers
- Go to your nearest Checkers Money Market counter with the money you wish to have sent.
- Bring with you your green South African ID (no copies, this is the only ID accepted), the amount you want to send, and an extra R9.99 for the transfer.
- Select and enter a 4-digit PIN number to receive your Money Market transfer number.
- Give this PIN to the person who you are sending money to.
You can send any amount from R1 to R500 per day; with a maximum amount of R25 000 per month, to be collected at any Checkers store.